At Blue Horizon, we develop the world’s leading products for data analysis and we deploy them against problems that truly matter — combating fraud, fighting child pornography, uncovering human trafficking rings, containing the spread of infectious diseases, prosecuting crimes and more. Sound exciting? We think so, too.
The Product Designer will be responsible for creating the human experience of using our software, as well as the execution of our brand. You will design everything from user interfaces, to immersive experiences in our buildings and events, all the way down to awesome illustrated teeshirts and create company swag we will be famous for.
We help to achieve connection and understanding. Our users must create knowledge from data in our software, potential customers and candidates need to understand and relate to the story of our company and the awesome work we do, and it’s our job to help tell these stories.
We believe that everyone should have access to excellence in design — utility and beauty — in whatever form it takes. Designers are highly valued in the company for our vision, our ability to learn and adapt, and our creativity and inventiveness. We’re growing rapidly, yet focused on creating a tight-knit group of people that enjoy each other’s company in an atmosphere that fosters trust, integrity, empathy, and growth.
The Product Designer
Sometimes we’re out in front, exploring brand-new problem spaces, figuring out what to build. And sometimes we’re deep in the details of micro-interactions, figuring out how to build it. We lead feature teams in design exercises ranging from day-long design studios to week-long design sprints.
A great Product Designer knows that form informs function and usability — that the surface layer doesn’t exist in a vacuum — and that means the partnership with the Visual Designer is a two-way conversation. We believe it is often important to have an owner for each of these facets. Dedicated roles help us ensure that we can meet the high bar of quality we’ve set for ourselves. Product Designers own the user experience of our products along with Visual Designers, User Researchers, and Product Engineers. Together, we refine and evolve the quality of all Blue Horizon software.
What we value
- Excellent communication skills. You have a proven ability to build great relationships, and convey and debate design rationale. You are the person that people can’t wait to collaborate with
- Empathy, not ego. We strive to understand our users and we fight to empower them.
- A profound love of engineers. Blue Horizon is an engineering company, and we get to work with some of the best in the world. Engineers realize our vision — and we realize theirs — and together we create software that our users love.
- A highly iterative design process. We move fast, we listen, and we adapt. We rapidly incorporate feedback, and we relentlessly collaborate. You must be adept at giving and receiving critiques.
- A mastery of tools. We move with ease across software and fidelity, depending on the task at hand. Sketch.app, Framer, hand-coding, Photoshop, Illustrator, or Keynote — and good old-fashioned pencil and paper.